BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Why Not?

Read James 1:2-8


If I am making a decision and the thought "Why not?" comes to me here are two things I have learned. One, I have learned that in the process of time if that thing I was pondering was not the best choice I will eventually get one if not many answers to my own question! The answers scream "here is why not" and I reach a place where Experience has taught me what I once was uncertain of.

Second, as a result of Experience, I personally look at the question "Why not?" as a dare, and even an indication of doubt. Even what James refers to as the double mind. So now when I have that thought or someone approaches me saying "why not" it is a warning. Again, I said personally...

Learning what you don't want gives you an appreciation for what you really do want. However, sometimes we cannot predict the ramifications of just seeing what may happen, or just trying something out. "What is the worst that could happen?"----terrible position to willingly put ourselves in...If you have ever asked that and then found out the worst is the worst and then some...beyond what you probably bargained for and Experience has ultimately taught you not to preface choices in that way again, right?

Many times the "why not" comes up when we feel we are working God's plan and it doesn't seem to be working. Pressure and deadlines are key players too. Haven't had that baby I want yet so why not... Haven't seen the return on tithing yet so why not...Haven't felt that feeling I had when we first got married so why not...

Instead of having to take the hard knocks of learning why I should not make certain choices I refer to lists that remind me of the outcomes I really want and then go into deliberations on whether or not that thing I am thinking "Why not?" about is going to be beneficial in getting me there. No, it is not always easy to agree to the best thing especially when you do not know what the best thing is. Plus, having my free will makes me human not robotic even to the revealed will of God.

Do you have a 1, 3 or 5 year plan, a list of dreams, a list of scriptures you refer to when praying for specific things, or a list of promises God has made to you from His Word and in prayer?

Recently my Pastor reminded me to check my values and to stay clear of making decisions lead by my emotions. I revisited my values and I even was reminded of some promises in line with those values. As a result, the fog and division over the decision I was making became clear that I was dealing with fog and division not revelation, wisdom or the like. So once I dealt with that I was able to make a value choice; a wise choice. I am glad that wise counsel from actually a multitude of counselors has kept me safe rather than sorry more times that I can name.

The double mind in James does not produce the double blessing of Job. If you are tempted internally with a "why not" choice today turn it out of you and away from actions you have not made yet while there is still time. Ask God to give you wisdom and in that it is very likely you will get free answers with peace instead of paying precious pieces of your life to Experience to teach you!

Next blog will be "Why?" and I will share a scripture that helps me regroup when I am doubting God's promises!


Enjoy your day!
Hungry Disciple
copyright 2010 Hungry Church

0 comments: