BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tastes like feet

I find myself frequently thinking about things I say.

Yesterday I said something and then thought "Man, I really stuck my foot in my mouth."

One reference says "What the term basically means is when someone (foolishly) says something that might offend someone else without realizing it." and another said that "The idea behind putting your foot in your mouth is that you just said something really outwardly noticeable (thus symbolizing the act of putting a foot in your mouth, which everyone would notice and think was weird)." forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=8436

But doesn't it take a lot of effort to do that? Have you tried sticking your foot in your mouth lately? It's not that easy especially if you don't do yoga!

Babies even have a hard time to some degree. Picture one sitting in their bouncy chair and trying to coordinate reaching for that foot. Pulling it to their mouth and aiming it just right, even wrestling with it, chasing it down so they can grip it there in place, hold it steady and commence to suck! And then they are satisfied. That shows effort and it is very deliberate. Not some knee jerk opps I can't believe I have my foot in my mouth now kind of deal.

So the more I compared what I thought, I stuck my foot in my mouth, to what I said my new found use for this statement became more relevant. I thought about what I said before I said it. I wanted to say it and if I wanted to stop myself I could have. I was deliberate. And I was satisfied at least for a while.

It was not some slip of the tongue, Freudian slip or whatever. It only took a matter of seconds to process but I knew it was bad to say. I liked that it was bad to say and knowing that there could be consequences I said it anyway.

MMM tastes like foot! Not a baby's foot but a big person's foot. Which, in my opinion, a big person should not be putting their own foot in their own mouth (no comments please). You get the picture. Or if not don't imagine a newly pedicured foot but one that had on flip flops all day and has been to the Walmart on Wendover...in the rain...ew!

I agree with the reference on embarrassment. Maybe conviction is a better word. Here is what I remembered...

In Proverbs 18:21 The God's Word Translation says this: The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love to talk will have to eat their own words.

Have you developed a palate for foot? Or the things that taste good when you think about saying them and once they roll off your tongue eventually leave a bad after taste...

Practice letting this verse block your foot or change your taste:
Take control of what I say, O Lord,and guard my lips. Don’t let me drift toward evil or take part in acts of wickedness. Don’t let me share in the delicacies of those who do wrong. (Psalm 141:3-4).

Wear that verse as a face mask and a reminder in your heart to think further than the quick satisfaction of the words you want to say when they are better left unsaid!

Enjoy your day!
Hungry Disciple
copyright 2011 Hungry Church

0 comments: